Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pod people


I'm feeling very old at the moment. Teenage mupp-ette problems - need I say more? I was supposed to be learning about mash-ups. I love the idea of mash-ups and can't wait to actually have a proper play with one.


I don't know if I'm an old muppet or just an old muppet who can't learn new tricks at the moment, but after a number of battles with forementioned teenage mupp-ette I seemed to be having lots of problems with the map mash-up I was working on, so I've decided on taking a step back from it right now and I'll have another attempt at playing with it when I'm feeling a little stronger (both emotionally and mentally).
So this posting is about podcasts. I'd heard about them of course. The radio station that I prefer to listen to has podcasts available to download, but I've never ventured that far down the technological road.
I enjoyed exploring a number of podcasts, although I have to admit that I only listened to ones that I could "stream" (these don't require downloading and with the broadband plan we have and 2 data-hungry mupp-ettes to contend with) so as not to go over our plan's limit. The sound quality was FANTASTIC. I listened to a podcast at the British Library's site, a part of their Talking Liberties Exhibition. It was like being in the same room as the curator (except without pictures of course).
After this I found a podcast by a British radio station where 2 announcers and a caller to the program were randomly talking about Dr Who episodes. Again the sound was great and if I was a follower of the radio program I would have really enjoyed reliving the show. But as someone who had stumbled upon it out of the blue, it was all a bit random.
All of this has made me seriously think about downloading a podcatcher so that I can happily download podcasts instead of relying on streaming being available. If I do, the mupp-ettes had better watch out as their time on the internet will be severely limited!


No comments:

Post a Comment